“Easily misplaced, accident-prone.”
Button may be a member of the alkaline, lithium or silver oxide family.
Prevalence: Commonly found in small electronic devices such as watches, calculators, some toys and car keys.
Lifetime: From days to years, depending on the application. Disposable.
Behaviour: Can easily be misplaced and cause accidents. Must be kept out of the reach of children and pets, as can cause a choking hazard and burn internal organs if swallowed.
Handling: Buttons must always be taped over, as they do not get along well with their peers. May even pop when touching one another.
Read more: Safety
Recycling: Buttons have varying chemical compositions and are consequently sorted into large, i.e. lithium and alkaline, batteries and small, i.e. silver oxide, batteries as soon as they arrive at the Akkuser plant in Nivala. Silver oxide batteries contain 2–4% silver, which is reutilised in the manufacturing of electronics.
Did you know: A prohibition on button cell batteries containing more than 0.0005% mercury by weight on the Finnish market entered into force in 2015, as the heavy metal mercury can be replaced with more environmentally friendly alternatives.
Appearance: Small, round and flat, usually steel-coloured.